| Sunrise: 06:42 | Sunset: 19:32 | GMT +11 | Today: Clear. |
 | home | Bookmark this site! | site map |  | 
Your browser did not load the style sheet and as a result the web page is not displaying correctly.

Hornby Lighthouse

brief history ...

Hornby Lighthouse
©2006 Gabriel Ditu
The August 1857 shipwreck of Dunbar and the October 1857 wreck of Catherine Adamson prompted the need of a lighthouse to mark the entrance to Jackson's Bay.

The lighthouse was erected in 1858 and was opened by Sir William Denison, the Governor of New South Wales who named it after his father-in-law, Admiral Sir Phipps Hornby.

The Hornby lighthouse was also known as the Lower Light in comparison with the nearby Macquarie Light.

Trivia: The first light keeper of the Hornby lighthouse, Henry Johnson, was a direct descendent of the sole surviver of the Dunbar shipwreck.

tourist information ...

How to get there
By bus from Circular Quay. Another alternative will be to catch a ferry to Watsons Bay and walk about 1Km to the lighthouse. See map.

Contact details:
Sydney Harbour Federation Trust
PO Box 607
Mosman NSW 2088 Australia
Tel 02 8969 2100
Web site: Harbour Trust

Hours of Operation:
The grounds of the lightstation are always open for public access.

28 February
1790 - John Irving, is the first convict emancipated in New South Wales.

1890 - The steamship RMS Quetta sinks off Cape York Peninsula, killing 133.

1973 - The federal voting age is lowered from 21 to 18.
Australian slang
  • nellie alcoholic drink
  • esky insulated cooler box
  • sickie day off sick leave
  • mull marijuana
  • franger condom
  • pub public house (place serving drinks)
  • tucker food
  • lolly water a soft drink
  • lizard drinking, flat out like a very busy
Online Maps
Sydney A to Z banners
Click on the following link:
Sydney A to Z banners